Bookmark this post –
Green tea health benefits are amazing enough. It is so potent that it has 10-15 times more nutrients than the regular kind. It even has more antioxidants than blueberries. It is called matcha green tea.
Matcha is made from only the top 2-3 leaves of the plant and uses the entire leaves. These leaves are carefully ground into a very fine powder. As a result, the tea is easily absorbed into the bloodstream.
I’ll list some of the nutrients and benefits here:
* Vitamins A, B-complex, C, E and K.
* Trace amounts of the minerals calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, sodium.
* Strong blood detoxifer due to high chlorophyll content.
* 70 times the antioxidants of orange juice.
* Nine times the beta carotene of spinach. and 4 times the beta carotene of carrots
* Extremely rich in polyphenols (antioxidants) and catechins, especially EGCG, which helps fight cancer. In fact, according to a study at the University of Colorado, match has 137 times more catechins than regular tea.
* Boosts metabolic rate by 35-40%, thus assisting in weight loss.
* 2 cups of regular green tea has approximately twice the antioxidants of red wine, 7 times that of orange juice and 20 times that of apple juice. Matcha has approximately 10 times the polyphenols and antioxidants of regular teas.
* Adds fiber to the diet.
It should be no surprise that it’s the most potent green tea in the world. It has been consumed in Japan for more than a thousand years. Buddhist monks first discovered it and this is the type that is served at Japanese tea ceremonies.
This tea has to be carefully grown and shaded. Weeks before the harvest, the plants are covered to protect them from directly sunlight. The leaves turn a darker shade of green as a result, which in turn increases the production of amino acids. Amino acids increase the sweetness. So if you feared that it would be more bitter because it’s more potent, it’s not. In fact, matcha is now a common ingredient in sweets. The leaves are harvested by hand and are also ground by hand with stone. Outside the US it is often not ground properly so it’s best to purchase matcha from Japanese growers.
It is so potent it only contains a small amount of caffeine (25 mg). It also contains L-theanine, which has a calming effect. Therefore the caffeine won’t raise your blood pressure. The L-theanine also helps increase the powers of alertness and concentration.
Dr John Anne is a herbal specialist with years of experience and extensive research
on Herbs and Alternative health. For more helpful information read about Vitamin A Sources and Antioxidant Sources at Vitamins and Minerals Guide.
Bookmark this post –